Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Blessed are the Poor


Lynn Anderson and me at the 2009 Western Music Association Festival in Albuquerque. Lynn is one of those people who don’t let their talent and celebrity get in the way of making someone else feel important. If you’ve met her, you know what I’m talking about. Back in 1970, she had a huge hit with her song, Rose Garden. “I beg your pardon; I never promised you a rose garden…” I’ve never told anyone, but that song was going through my head as I wrote the next poem. I’m sure you’ll see it in the first stanza. That, coupled with the glut of so called “prosperity gospel” messages on TV and radio, led me to pontificate on just what being a Christian was all about.

Blessed are the Poor

Who told you that it would be easy?
Who said it would all go your way?
Who promised a garden of roses
or comfortable bed where you’ll lay?

Who told you your problems are over?
Who said that God’s waiting to serve?
Who promised a road without pot holes
and nary a hill or a curve?

The Lord made it clear you’re a servant.
The point’s not to get, but to give.
Don’t be fooled by the promise of plenty.
You must die to yourself, so you’ll live.

Jeff Hildebrandt © 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment