Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Monday, March 7, 2011

Wrangler's Response

In Matthew 26 and Mark 14, Jesus told the disciples the poor will always be with us. We should do all we can to help ease the pain of injustice, strife and poverty but our goal should really be to show those we meet that there is hope in Christ for the future. I just don’t think you can do that when you’re involved in an effort that wants to downplay God’s role.

I had a personal brush with that a few years ago. One of the major charities that helps fund hundreds of worthwhile organizations was looking for a cowboy poet to help kick off their local campaign. I told them I’d love to do it and shared a poem I thought would be just right.

A Wrangler’s Response

A Cowboy’s never taller
than when he’s on his knees.
A Cowboy’s never stronger
than when he asks God, please.
A Cowboy’s never braver
than when he sheds a tear
for everyone who’s suffering
all throughout the year.

Well, the response was thanks, but no thanks. “We can’t use anything that includes a reference to God.” They just want our money. Well, they aren’t getting mine.
That’s one reason I funnel my charitable contributions through the church and encourage the church to make sure its charitable donations don’t just get pooled into some non-Christian group’s assistance programs.

I feel it’s important that those who benefit know it’s because God loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment