Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's Not Easy Being Green

I heard a younger person say,
"The problems that we face today
all started long before my birth
by those who didn’t see the worth
in cleaning up the planet earth.
The downward spiral’s clearly seen
because you all would not “go green.”

But, I remember when the milkman
would deliver to the door
and we returned our soda bottles
to the grocery store.
Those bottles would be sterilized,
filled up and used again.
But no one talked ‘bout “going green”
where we were way back then.

I remember all those hand-me-downs
and shoes that were re-soled.
We wore short sleeves in summer
and sweaters when it’s cold.
I remember faded Levi jeans,
that were patched and patched again
but no one talked, “recycling”
where we were way back then.

I remember when we all just walked
to get to school and back
and no one preached that exercise
is what our children lack.
We drank from water fountains
when we were parched and dry.
We re-used all our coffee mugs
and never thought to buy
a latte in a paper cup
that won’t be used again.
But no one talked of “going green”
where we were way back then.

I remember when the family
all watched the same TV
and no one said we’re wasting
all our E-lec-tricity
I remember moms washed diapers,
then hung them on a line.
But no one talked of solar power;
Cause the sun dried clothes just fine.

But youth today are right of course.
We need ecology
because this green initiative
spurs our economy.
I only wish we’d understood
when we were young back then.
So we could have taken action
to avoid this mess we’re in.

Jeff Hildebrandt © April 12, 2012

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! I've been there and done that. Never thought there would be a day when we would see people driving around talking on the telephone. We didn't even have a land line and sure didn't call it that.

    ReplyDelete