Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Monday, February 28, 2011

You Didn't Read the Instructions

This is an excerpt starting on page 70 in Ridin' for the Boss and the Brand.

"I’m reminded of a confrontation I had in my younger days as a news reporter. I was covering an abortion protest when one of the protestors asked me to join their cause. When I said I couldn’t, she told me I’d never get to heaven if I didn’t protest abortion. I bit my tongue and continued working.

You Didn’t Read the Instructions

Lots of Christians today are affected
by injustices each of us sees.
And I fear that we’re also infected
by a mind clouding social disease.
Its symptoms include Bible thumping,
pointing fingers and narrowing views.
People’s actions just get our blood pumping
and we can’t stand to stay in the pews.
The media says we’re misguided.
And you know what, they may just be right.
Our priorities have been divided
and division is blurring our sight.
If our protesting things that are sinful
angers those who don’t see it that way.
Than what good are Godly intentions
when our witness drives others away?
We can protest and picket till doomsday.
Take saving the world as our goal.
But when Jesus comes,
you know what he’ll say?
“You should have been out saving souls.
What happened, I told you to love them?
Not condemn them for things that they do.
But, instead, you wanted to judge them
and frankly, that’s not up to you.”
So, it’s time we stop pointing a finger.
Instead, we should offer a hand.
Help the needy then take time to linger
and share the Good News if we can.

Now, if I may paraphrase my earlier paraphrase; Christians hate the sin but love the sinner as one of God’s creations. While a lot of those on the various picket lines hate the sin AND hate the sinner. It’s simple; waving signs and trying to enforce all those “thou shalt not’s” doesn’t make you a Christian."

No comments:

Post a Comment