Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dream High

I saw a painting by actor/artist Buck Taylor called "Dream High."
This word picture, based on his excellent art, tries to capture the
anticipation and thrill I imagine a barrel racer must feel.

Dream High

Saddled up and cinched tight
She sits in sun streaked shadow
Cowboy Noir
Horseflies cut trails through suspended dust
She doesn’t notice
Picturing only the third barrel

“Dream high”, her mother said
“Never settle” tumbles from her lips
Her eyes focus
Pulse pounds
Breath quickens
Her pony coils
Her name rings across the arena

In less time than it took to tell this story
there were smiles and high fives all around
“Dream high”
Mom was right !
Jeff Hildebrandt © 2005

P.S. I'm a sucker for perspective and Buck's painting seems
to pull me down the chute to stand right in front of the young rider.
That print hangs over the fireplace in my family room.
I look at it every day and never tire of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment