Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Friday, September 24, 2010

Cause and Effect

On the bunkhouse porch I watched these two;
as old Ben Dollar told Pete Purdue
about the troubles he’d had lately
and it appeared to vex him greatly.
Seems an axle broke on the old chuck wagon
and while the rear end was a draggin’
it caused one horse to pull up lame
and then the problems really came.
The wagon tipped, the chuck fell out,
flour and beans were strewn about.
Then the water barrel strap broke loose.
It hit the ground and spilled its juice.
And when it crashed, the noise it made
spooked the horse with the gimpy leg
who started off and then fell down
and lay there kickin’ on the ground.
The boss’s horse slipped in the mud
and sent him tumbling with a thud.
He ripped a hole in his favorite jeans
as he went splat in the flour and beans.
His horse ran off and the air turned blue
as the boss let out a curse or two.
While he stomped in all that waller
he blamed the mess on old Ben Dollar.

Then I heard old Ben ask Pete Purdue
if he’d explain a thing or two.
Said, “I believe in the Father, The Son and The Spirit.
I believe judgement’s coming and don’t really fear it.
I know I’ve been saved by the Blood of The Lamb,
so, why am I having the troubles I am”?
Pete pondered, then held up a book in his hand,
Said believin’ is easy when all goes as planned.
The question’s not why bad luck you’re attractin’
The issue is centered on how you’re reactin’
Faith’s easy to have when you’re well fed and rested
But faith isn’t FAITH until it’s been tested.
Let those with ears hear. Let those with eyes see.
Understanding is found in James One, Two and Three.
You should count it all joy when your life’s black and blue
cause that’s when the Father shows what He can do.
Pete said, “When yer troubled, think this here refrain:
My faith’s like a muscle, no pain and no gain”.
So now when I’m down and don’t know what to do
I think of the lesson from old Pete Purdue
“Let those with ears hear, let those with eyes see,
and follow the truth in James one, two and three”.

Jeff Hildebrandt copyright 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment