Christian Cowboy Poetry and more

Christian Cowboy Poetry and more
Available thru rangerhymer@hotmail.com

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Compromise

Everytime I perform or speak at a gathering, I'm asked if I have a CD of my poetry. That's especially true at Cowboy Churches. I do, but I'm also in the process of editing an audio version of "Ridin' for the Boss and the Brand." It's not the entire book, but I think it makes the point and is broken into fairly short segments that are ideal for listening to while you're on the way to the grocery store or waiting in a parking lot. I mention that because this is one of the poems included in both the book and the CD.

COMPROMISE

We all see things in a different way.
What’s right or wrong, well, who’s to say?
What’s right for me may not fit you.
There’s really nothing else to do,
but compromise.
I don’t approve of Washington
wasting cash, so what I’ve done
is use a taxing trick or two
to pay far less that what is due.
That’s compromise.
If you don’t like your pay amount
just pad the old expense account.
No one bats an eye because
it’s something everybody does.
They compromise
The Bible says, “Don’t be conformed,
renew your mind and be transformed."
But, Romans twelve seems out of date,
we’re better off if we relate,
by compromise.
Some churches fill up all their pews
with folks who share the same world views.
Their preacher also understands
they’re just suggestions, not commands.
They’ve compromised
And when they see God, face to face,
they’ll just appeal to Holy Grace.
They’ll ask him to ignore their lies
and plead with him through tearful eyes
to compromise.
But, from His Holy Throne He’ll look
and say, “The Way is in the Book,
the key to Heaven is the Christ,
you should have made the sacrifice,
not compromise."

Jeff Hildebrandt © 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment